May 9, 2012

Yarn Along #12

I'm joining in Ginny's Yarn Along this week.

The other day, as I was perusing the knitting book shelves at my local library, I found a book that has been on my list of "must read" for quite some time. If you haven't taken a look at The Knitter's Book of Yarn, I highly recommend it.




From the start, I was completely smitten by the book's lovely illustrations. When you first open the book, there's a drawing of a pullover with strands of yarn leading to different types of fiber which include the standard sheep (wool) to the Musk Ox (Qiviut). Throughout are lovely photographs and eye-catching illustrations, all of which make the information more fun to absorb. As I'm working (really hard) on designing some original patterns, I've known for a while that I need to educate myself better on fiber. What are fiber foundations and the differences in plys? What types of yarns are better for cardigans or socks? And since size does matter, what should I be thinking about when I want to experiment with needle ranges?


So, what's on my needles? I cast on some Patons Classic Wool for the baby cardigan design that's been buzzing in my mind for the last week, and, yes, I'm using my Cubics square needles to swatch. I can't really explain it, but I just keep returning to variegated yarns, which is atypical of what I'm usually attracted to.  It's true what knitters often say:  you have to let the yarn become what it wants to be!



12 comments:

  1. I mean, most adults probably wouldn't wear a sweater in a variegated yarn, but it's not like a baby can protest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love just looking through the knitting books at my library, it's such a good time waster. I'm glad you found one that is helpful, it sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that book looks interesting....I'll have to check it out! Can't wait to see your baby sweater finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm . . . I like the colors of that yarn. Reminds me of a Ted Drewes Cardinal Sin Sundae! Frozen custard with tart cherries and hot fudge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book, too. There is so much great information but the author manages to make it all interesting. Lovely bunch of projects as well. Can't wait to see your new design. Such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of my favorite books!!! now, if I only could absorb everything in it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you will have to give a final review of the book when you're finished, I've been thinking about buying it for quite some time. Good luck on your design! By the way, if you haven't purchased it yet, you should buy The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt. Its 700 pages of knitting heaven, techniques and tips. Its the knitters bible and its affordable on amazon! Around $24 and its worth $45!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That book looks fantastic. I'm definitely going to get my hands on a copy! Glad to hear that your new needles are getting a lot of use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a sock I started a gazillion years ago and it has been idling for over a month!! I really need to get knitting. I love the colorway of that cardi. Hope you are doing well and thanks for visiting my neck of the blogosphere :) Hugs,

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adored that book ♥
    And if you need someone to test knit your cardigan, I'd be glad to- my family's full of preggos. No rush, though, I know how difficult pattern-writing can be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book sounds awesome (another one for the wishlist!). I like the variegated colors in Patons Classic Wool, too, and they coordinate really well with their solids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that yarn!

    ReplyDelete