Jul 20, 2012

What's in a Color?

After a very tiring (and hot) day, I returned home from work to find this beauty waiting for me in my mailbox.


Red Label in Smoke


Yes, it's my fourth skein from the TFA Year in Colour Club, and I think this is my favorite color and yarn of all.  I'll be honest and say that I've only knit with one of my club yarns so far and I haven't even finished that project yet. : (


I guess it's kind of odd to say that this is my favorite color when this is barely a color at all.  Smoke is a silvery gray and, in some ways, it's more about light and hue than anything else.  How Tanis managed to create this dye is beyond impressive.  As always, the skein came with an original pattern, this time by Jared Flood of Brooklyn Tweed fame.  I've been an admirer of Jared's for a long time (who hasn't, right?), and I have some Loft in my stash, but I haven't yet knit a pattern by him or BT before so I'm incredibly excited to try my hand at this gorgeous (and I mean gorgeous) shawl.




Do I dare cast on this weekend?  Oh, and did I mention that this skein of Red Label is a cashmere silk blend?  Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist.

22 comments:

  1. Ohhhh it's gorgeous!! I can't wait to see the started shawl soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be a little worried if you didn't cast on that beautiful yarn soon. I agree that silvery color is gorgeous, I tend to gravitate towards it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! I belong to two clubs this year and have only made one thing so far...what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love a good grey. The pattern looks really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 - go directly to the cast-on jail, missy! Love, love, love that Tanis dye studio. That is one awesome skein of color and fiber loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! What a lovely treat after a day at work.
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That yarn just looks gorgeous! Whatever you knit from it will turn out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww... this is one of my favorite colors!! You choose awesome one! I even love the name: smoky!! How fabulous~ I am so looking forward to seeing your lovely projects knitted with this gorgeous yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you have to cast that on! Don't pass go, don't collect $200 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love that smokey color! I knit Jared's Hemlock Ring Blanket in cashmere last year and it was such a wonderful knit! He has such beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its so yummy! I wish postage wasn't so crazy to NZ or I would in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luxury ! ! !
    Slivery Luxury ! ! ! !

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous yarn, grey is one of my favourite colours at the moment, especially silver grey. I've just bought 2 balls of silver suri alpaca yarn, it's so pretty. Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. go on! cast on! If I didn't have so many other projects on my needles already, I would certainly do so as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Evelyn, you get great mail! Have fun and happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Evelyn, you get great mail! Have fun and happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. MY gosh what a score and its fiber content? Di-vine!
    I love a good grey; it's neutral but love how one can have so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes the most subtle colors are the best ones of all. I think it's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that colour too. It's so pretty! And it's Cashmere silk... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think everyone in the club agrees that it's a wonderful yarn and color and we are all excited about knitting this beautiful guernsey shawl of Jared Flood! For me it will be after a gift knit, then socks I started with Thrills. It will come soon I hope! I will be back to see yours progress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both yarn and pattern look beautiful Evelyn - happy knitting! x

    ReplyDelete