Feb 20, 2013

Yarn Along

I'm joining in Ginny's Yarn Along this week.

Over the last couple of days, I've been overwhelmed by the generosity of my knitting/blogging friends.  We are such a chatty bunch, always eager to share tips, pattern ideas, and encouragement in the most unconditional ways.  It's quite a phenomenon, really.

But when I am the recipient of gifts that are more than words, beautiful items that arrive in the mail from across miles and miles of land and/or water, simply put ... I'm humbled.  


From Deb!

In the last week, I came home to find the sweetest packages in the mail.  One was from the talented Deb all the way from the UK and the other was from the equally talented Louise sent down from Canada.  

From Louise!

As you can see, I'm rich in friendship and rich in new stash!  Deb sent me a hank of limited edition Rowan Kidsilk Creation, a scarf pattern, a lovely hand-made pin, and a copy of The Knitter's Magazine.  Louise sent me two skeins of Patons Kroy Socks FX, the creme de la creme of sock yarns. I'm teaching myself to accept generosity without guilt, and while it isn't easy to do, I accept these gifts with an open heart ... and big smiles! Thank you again, Deb & Louise, not just for these but for your friendship, too.



So, what am I reading this week?  I've begun the second book in the stack I brought home from the library last weekend.  This novel tells the story of Harold Fry, a middle-age man whose life has become more predictable than he ever thought possible until he receives a letter in the post from a long-ago friend sharing some sad news.  This small gesture leads Harold to make an unlikely pilgrimage across England to see his friend and along the way, we are introduced to the equally unlikely folks he meets as well as his poignant memories of those he's left at home.  I'm fascinated by pilgrimages and as an avid walker, I can almost see myself in Harold's shoes ... except I hope I would be better prepared than he is!  Read the book and you'll understand.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad they arrived safely, and you deserve them, you do a great job on the Ravelry group, Project Stash which includes knitting for charity, so enjoy.
    I look forward to seeing if you knit anything from the magazine, it's my favourite, British mag and what you do with the Kidsilk.

    Enjoy
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's way better mail than bills! I just commented on my blog about the sweet nature of knitters too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, what lovely surprises for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you receiving such surprises. :) I read this book last summer and enjoyed it--it is beautifully written. I was almost more interested in his wife at home's transformation at times!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely gifts! Thank you for putting together the magic swap. That was fun. I'll get knitting here soon with my gifted stash ball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely - I've seen the Kidsilk in the shops - isn't it cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of that knitting magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such amazing friends. I love that sock yarn, you are right, its definitely stunning :) That book sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right... I've never met a knitter who doesn't have a huge heart and sweet smile. Your current read does sound good. So many books... so little time! And speaking of big hearts and fun things in the mail, my project stash give away yarn arrived earlier this week. I know exactly what I'm going to make with it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to receive gifts in the mail! I like the synopsis of that book and have it on my to-reads list.

    ReplyDelete