Mar 17, 2014

The Anatomy of a Sock

With each sock that I knit, I feel more and more accomplished as a knitter.  Even though they're fairly small projects, I've learned that socks test a whole slew of different knitting muscles and help me hone my knitting skills.  I'm one of those strange knitters who loves double-pointed needles, but I know that many of you swear by circular needles, some even knit socks two-at-a-time.  Maybe one day I'll get there but for now, DPNs are my friends.



You may remember that when I first started this pair of socks in mid-February, I opted for the cuff-down method. That didn't go so well, and as I loved this yarn so much, there was no question about frogging it back and starting over, this time with my preferred toe-up construction.  One thing I didn't realize was how frustrating it would be to rip back slipped stitches ~ ugh, it was the worse and took forever (have you ever done that?) ~ but it was worth it in the end.



So, let's get to why I've called today's post the anatomy of a sock.  First, there's the toe-up ... toe. The top of the foot was knit in the pinstripe pattern while the sole was knit in plain stockinette.  I put in a rip-cord for the afterthought heel and when I got to the desired length of the leg, I topped it off with a 2x2 rib.  I bound off with Ysolda Teague's tutorial of Jenny's Stretchy Bind-Off which is fantastic and oh-so-clever.

I love everything about these socks ~ the colorful stripes, the soft yarn, the easy afterthought heel, and the great fit.  That's a wrap!

9 comments:

  1. Such pretty socks.
    I am on a mission to have a stack of 100 pairs of sock in my closet. I am with you on dpn's, love them. Now I just need to learn the toe up method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely socks, lovely yarn. Can definitely empathize: I spent much of January (and part of this past weekend) ripping multi-color, multi-yarn slipped-stitch projects .... Yep, it can test your patience! (It certainly tested mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely socks. I bet you'll get heaps of use out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out so beautifully. I love that slip stitch pattern. I think it's worthwhile to try different sock construction methods to figure out what you like and what fits you best. For me, I find that top-down with heel flap gives me the most comfortable fit. Good thing, because I find toe-up construction tedious, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely socks! I'm also sold to DPN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like dpns, too! I prefer toe-up as well, and Jeny's bind-off. Your socks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are snazzy socks. I want to try cuff down on smaller needles but I'm afraid of having to frog everything out. I know toe up works well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big sock knitter but these look lovely! DPNs though ... eugh, hate them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really nailed my feelings on sock knitting. And as much as I'm looking forward to learning circular and 2 at a time techniques, I love the dpns as well. I have yet to learn toe-up, but I'm excited about all the ways to knit a sock :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete