Jun 18, 2014

A New Happy Place

I can't explain why or how this happened, but clearly 2014 has become the year of trying new things. Knitting is still my go to happy place but after making my first scrapbook last month, I felt the crafty part of myself expand a little. I had a ton of fun scrapbooking, but I already know that I'll only work on a scrapbook intermittently.  BUT after trying another new craft recently, I can absolutely tell that I've found a new happy place.



Remember when I fell down the Instagram rabbit hole?  Well, I stumbled upon this amazing artist, and when she announced that she would be teaching a basic weaving class, I jumped at the chance and secured a spot.  My class, which was held in a coffee bar in Brooklyn, was filled with an incredibly warm group of women.  The excitement was palpable and I loved how open everyone was to learning something new.



Maryanne is one of the most generous, patient, and passionate teachers I've ever studied with ~ her instructions, both verbal and visual, are clear, concise, and encouraging.  The atmosphere was truly one of sharing, and I think we all wished the class could have gone on for hours and hours.  Another big bonus was getting to work with Tanis' hand-dyed yarns in a completely different form.  I've knit with TFA yarns before and love Tanis' amazing color sensibility so to experiment with her yarns on a loom was fantastic. 




My first project is going very slowly (mainly because I haven't had much time to work on it this week), but I'm enjoying weaving so much and am so excited for all the projects I want to start.  As I'm sharing this with you, I'm finding that I'm having a hard time expressing what this new craft means to me but I hope, over time, I'll be able to articulate better how weaving is becoming my new very happy place.

Me and Maryanne

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having fun at every stage. Am looking forward to seeing where your new craft journey leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last picture, of you two with the wall hangings in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh this looks so fun. Everybody is into weaving right now. It's really getting tough for me to resist taking on a new hobby...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully intend to experiment with weaving too. The textures that you can get from weave are so amazing. Enjoy your new happy place - it's a great new place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I weaved some time ago in the artistic school. After years my love to weave turned into love for knitting. I'm so happy you enjoy it! Working with TFA must be pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like so much fun! Can't wait to see your finished weave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so so so cool. And gorgeous! I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh you are so cute and petite! That looks fun. How cool it was held in a coffee bar. Only New York would have that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun! I scrapbook and do collage art but also only intermittently. Crochet is my go to craft. I've though about trying weaving, though, and this makes me want to even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems a lot of knitters are heading out into weaving at the moment ... fun isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so exciting to see, Evelyn! I keep seeing weaving popping up lately. There is a great weaving resource here in Louisville called the Little Loomhouse. It's three cabins tucked away in a wooded neighborhood where they offer classes in weaving, spinning, and dyeing. It looks like a 1970s summer camp, and I want to live there! Instead I plan to volunteer or at the very least take a couple of classes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! Looking forward to seeing more of your weaving. I am inspired as always by your enthusiasm. My first time making anything from yarn was a handwoven bag in elementary school. Oh how I loved that bag!

    ReplyDelete